I love spending my lazy Sunday afternoons baking with my kids, they enjoy helping out in the kitchen and get right into creating and decorating their masterpieces. This sugar cookie recipe is the ideal holiday treat, not only is it easy to make but it tastes absolutely delicious. The cookies are sweet, delicate with slightly crispy edges that just melt in your mouth. Grab your festive cookie cutters and put on your favourite Christmas tunes, it’s time to get baking!
- 140g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 375g Flour
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 235g Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg White
- 3 tsp Cold Water
How to make it:
- Mix together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla, and the egg yolk, setting the egg white aside for the icing.
- Cream together the mixture and add the flour a little bit at a time until it forms a dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC.
- Spread flour on the worktop and roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Using your Christmas cookie cutters, cut out shapes and put them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until they are lightly golden brown.
- Carefully slide them off the tray and onto a cooling rack.
- While your cookies are cooling down, mix the icing sugar with the egg white, and add a teaspoon at a time of cold water.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a thin nozzle, and pipe onto the cooled cookies.
You can store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Why not get festive and transform your sugar cookies into Christmas ornaments for the tree. All you need to do is pierce a little hole in the dough before you bake them.
If you make this recipe, be sure to let me know what you think.
Let’s get social | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Yummy, they look delicious and pretty, I’ll definitely be trying this recipe, thanks for sharing x
You are most welcome!
It looks lovely, I’m actually going to be doing cookies with my girls so il try your one.
So festive! I might try making these with my son nearer to Christmas!
Di from Max The Unicorn
I love simple cookies that go well with a cuppa. These look perfect! Thanks for sharing!
Can’t wait to try this at home!
This is on my to do list xx
Cute and yummy 😋
They look pretty!!
These sound so delicious! Going to have to try your recipe next time I bake cookies!
Laura || http://www.thelifeoflaura.com.au xx
Yumm! I love sugar cookies! I should definitely make these this Christmas! Xx
Kez | acaciasdreams.com
Ooh these look delicious! I’ve never made sugar cookies before – might have to try it this year! We usually make gingerbread cookies 🙂
Tasha // shiwashiful.
I love a good cookie recipe! I need to try this out.
Rochelle || http://www.simplesocialsister.com
These cookies sound so delicious, I like the way you have presented them, so festive like the perfect Christmas presentation.
WARNING: You will need a padlock for your biscuit tin because once you start eating these you won’t be able to stop at just one. Before you know it the tin will be empty and your belly will be swollen with joy.
AMAZING AMY xx
Oh my!! heavenly and delish!! 🙂
They look so delicious! I will definitely being trying out the recipe.
Oh these cookies are so perfect! I recently bought a set of star cookie cutters so I’ll have to make a bunch now 🙂