I love spending my lazy Sunday afternoons baking with my kids, they enjoy helping out in the kitchen and get right into creating and decorating their masterpieces. This sugar cookie recipe is the ideal holiday treat, not only is it easy to make but it tastes absolutely delicious. The cookies are sweet, delicate with slightly crispy edges that just melt in your mouth. Grab your festive cookie cutters and put on your favourite Christmas tunes, it’s time to get baking!
- 140g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 250g Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 375g Flour
Royal Icing Ingredients
- 235g Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg White
- 3 tsp Cold Water
How to make it:
- Mix together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla, and the egg yolk, setting the egg white aside for the icing.
- Cream together the mixture and add the flour a little bit at a time until it forms a dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190oC.
- Spread flour on the worktop and roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
- Using your Christmas cookie cutters, cut out shapes and put them on a lined baking tray.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until they are lightly golden brown.
- Carefully slide them off the tray and onto a cooling rack.
- While your cookies are cooling down, mix the icing sugar with the egg white, and add a teaspoon at a time of cold water.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a thin nozzle, and pipe onto the cooled cookies.
You can store your cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Why not get festive and transform your sugar cookies into Christmas ornaments for the tree. All you need to do is pierce a little hole in the dough before you bake them.
If you make this recipe, be sure to let me know what you think.